how to make friends as a grown-up // Living Alone Diaries

When you’re a kid, it’s so easy to make friends. You just walk up to someone and ask them if they want to play with you. Do that as an adult, and people will look at you slightly funny. That’s not to say that I haven’t gone out and told people that I thought they were cool and that I really wanted to be friends with them (after talking to them once or twice!).

Moving to a new city (or a new country) means leaving behind the people you know. You get a fresh start, and while this can be great, it can also be quite lonely if you don’t have anyone to talk to.

Add to this the fact that I work from home and don’t have any work colleagues to make friends with, I decided I needed to get out and actually work on meeting new people.

So, here’s some tips on how to make friends as a grown-up

• Join different Facebook groups and post a message asking to meet up with people
  • Check if there’s any clubs or sports teams in your area that you can join
  • Volunteer
  • Get on Tinder and hope for the best
  • Get out of your house and just start talk to people that seem nice (this one really, truly works, no matter how strange it might seem)
  • Take some classes near you (language classes are, for au pairs, a great way to meet new people)

These are just some ways that I’ve tried to meet new people. If you have any other tips, let us know in the comments below!

1. mudpiedridays
    29 August 2020 / 4:15 am

This would be really helpful for those people looking for friends! they will love this ideas

2. 27 August 2020 / 2:55 pm

I read somewhere that there is like a bumble friend finder, too!!!

3. delhifundos2014
    27 August 2020 / 7:46 am

These are amazing tips for those who want to make friends as a grown up. I always to join my near by sports club and I always meet new friends.

4. Jasmine Martin
    27 August 2020 / 6:07 am

This is such a great article because so many adults have issues with attempting to make friends as adults. It can be hard, but it really is just about putting yourself out there.

5. 27 August 2020 / 12:49 am

This is such great advice! It can definitely be challenging as an adult.

6. 26 August 2020 / 7:12 pm

These are such great tips! I have found that it is difficult to make friends as an adult due to kids and having a hectic schedule. Thanks for sharing these!

7. Lyosha Varezhkina
    26 August 2020 / 6:16 pm

Great tips! I really wanted to have more friends as a grown up (most of my friends relocated and I did feel lonely in friendship terms), classes really helped me a lot, I have friends from my yoga glasses and it makes me very happy I know wonderful and easy going people

8. Emily Fata
    26 August 2020 / 3:06 pm

I never thought much about trying to make friends as an adult, but these are all such simple ways to do it! I love the pointers that you’ve laid out here — I guess making more friends at this point in life is easier than I thought! Haha

9. Marie
    26 August 2020 / 4:54 am

I have met two new neighbors and spent time with old friends in the past couple weeks. Thank you for helping with some great suggestions.