When you’re a kid, it’s so easy to make friends. You just walk up to someone and ask them if they want to play with you. Do that as an adult, and people will look at you slightly funny. That’s not to say that I haven’t gone out and told people that I thought they were cool and that I really wanted to be friends with them (after talking to them once or twice!).
Moving to a new city (or a new country) means leaving behind the people you know. You get a fresh start, and while this can be great, it can also be quite lonely if you don’t have anyone to talk to.
Add to this the fact that I work from home and don’t have any work colleagues to make friends with, I decided I needed to get out and actually work on meeting new people.
So, here’s some tips on how to make friends as a grown-up
- Join different Facebook groups and post a message asking to meet up with people
- Check if there’s any clubs or sports teams in your area that you can join
- Get on Tinder and hope for the best
- Get out of your house and just start talk to people that seem nice (this one really, truly works, no matter how strange it might seem)
- Take some classes near you (language classes are, for au pairs, a great way to meet new people)
These are just some ways that I’ve tried to meet new people. If you have any other tips, let us know in the comments below!