Types of Travelling and the Pressure of Social Media to Do It Right

Last week, I read this book called Wanderlove (it’s amazing, go check it out!). It’s about a young girl travelling on her own for the first time. She books a group tour at first, but then leaves them behind to travel with a brother and sister she meets at the group’s first stop.

This book made me think a lot about the different ways we have to travel.

In today’s world, with digital nomads, travel bloggers and the pressure social media puts on us to have ‘the perfect life,’ travel seems almost obligatory.

And if you travel, it’s best if you do it with a backpack and as little stuff as possible. Like a real traveller. Stay in places for a long time, learn the language a bit, soak up the culture. Write everything down to make sure you don’t forget.

Stuffed suitcases are for amateurs. It’s much better to stay in a hostel than in an air-conditioned hotel room. And let’s not even talk about the daily tours to historic places that you can go on. All of that takes away from the experience.

Or does it?

I’ve done both types of travelling. I’ve gone places with a suitcase (albeit a small one), taking a taxi from the airport to the hotel, and enjoying the fact that there was a small fridge in my room. But I’ve also spent hours on the floor of a full train, trying to get work done on my laptop with a terrible internet connection, and sleeping in a hostel room with twenty strangers.

Who gets to decide what kind of travelling is the best way to travel? Sometimes you just don’t want to deal with all the problems that can arise while in a strange country. Sometimes you just want to relax on the beach and read your book. And other times you’re up for the adventure, putting on your hiking boots to go back to nature.

What are your experiences travelling? Do you feel like there are certain expectations that come with travelling (especially for younger people)?

1. Sedija Lejiete
    21 May 2020 / 10:15 pm

The only thing I have got from social media when it comes to traveling, is to take extra cool photos and put travel-like filters on. Although the result is amazing and photos turn out stunning, I have come to realization, that there is nothing more valuable than living in present moment and not focusing on how to beautifully take photos. Once I change my mindset around it, I enjoy traveling a lot more and when taking photos I don’t feel like that would be more important than the adventures I experience. 🙂

2. Michelle
    21 May 2020 / 4:55 pm

Great perspective!! I agree travel comes in all different forms, and if you have a learning growing experience or just relaxing it’s still a win!!

3. aisasami
    21 May 2020 / 2:28 pm

I have never really cared how I travel, I just travel for myself. Don’t need anyone to tell me what to do.

• Elle
      21 May 2020 / 3:24 pm

“ I agree with you. As long as I’m going somewhere new and safe the mode of transport doesn’t matter much to me.”

4. Papa Bida
    21 May 2020 / 1:49 am

There is a high value of Social Media now adays since the lockdown strikes. But we have to be very diligent in checking what is fake or not, what is important or not and what is definitive to give attention. Most of the time it brings us down.

5. 20 May 2020 / 7:49 pm

You should never listen of social media. when you are enjoying travelling then you must never listen to anyone. if social media don’t like your travelling then leave them.

6. 20 May 2020 / 4:51 pm

My favorite way to travel is my cruise ship, and if social media doesn’t like it well, that’s their own problem!

7. delhifundos2014
    20 May 2020 / 2:22 pm

Social media has changed the way we travel. We are a victim of as well but the truth be told our experience of traveling is incomplete without completing pictures, videos and vlogs. But we keep reminding ourselves that we have to not let the moment go for the sake of social media pictures

8. 20 May 2020 / 8:51 am

Don’t listen to social media. When travelling enjoy yourself and be one with the surroundings. The more you think about social media when traveling the less you will enjoy it.

9. 20 May 2020 / 8:13 am

We actually so far haven’t felt that kind of a pressure. We have indulged in both luxury/comfort filled travelled and backpack one as well and find that both those experiences have been satisfying and filled with learnings. There is one thing though about our travel style that we don’t really like going/booking group travels and just checking things off “the list”. Rather we like asking around locals and really trying to gain experiences and doing off beat things preferably away from the crowds.