Why I love to travel

When I was younger, the furthest I ever got from home was Amsterdam, on a day trip with my grandparents. Getting there only took two hours by train. My parents didn’t like to travel. Add to that the fact that going on holiday with five children is a lot of work and you’ll see why we stayed home every summer.

And I longed to go away. I dreamed about all the adventures my friends were having and wanted to do the same. Now, all grown up and earning my own money, I do like to go places every chance I get. Part of that is possibly because I never really went anywhere when I was younger. But for the most part, it’s because I want to see as much as I can of this beautiful planet we live on. Before it’s too late.

Here are the main reasons why I travel.

1. It’s challenging

Going somewhere where you don’t speak the language, and where you have no idea what direction to go in, really challenges you to think outside of the box.

2. It expands your perspective on life

Travelling to different countries, you get to know a different culture and the way people in that country see things. I think this is a great way to learn and expand the way you see the world.

3. You learn about yourself

Getting lost somewhere, or being unsure of what to do (the same reasons why travelling can be challenging) also teach you a lot about yourself. You learn how you react to different situations and often find out you can do a lot more than you thought.

4. It’s a way to escape

Let’s face it – everyone needs a break from their daily life sometimes. Travelling somewhere is a great way to get that break and not have to think about work, bills or other problems you might face.

5. You learn to appreciate what you have

Depending on where you go, you might encounter places and people that don’t have the same living standards as you do. Seeing something that’s so far removed from your own life can really make you appreciate the opportunities that you have been given.

Do you like to travel? If so, why? Or why not?

1. 5 March 2020 / 3:07 pm

Travel is a big part of my life and I so agree with your points made in this post.

2. Kiwi
    29 February 2020 / 10:39 am

I travel a lot too and it does teach me about appreciation as well. You just do not understand the privileged you have until you visit other countries.

3. 27 February 2020 / 1:14 pm

Well, travelling is something different from other feelings.

Everyone has some reason or the other, and the best part is, everyone finds peace in traveling.

4. 27 February 2020 / 12:51 pm

love to travel also because of the same reasons. travelling teaches us not only a place’s culture but more so learn about ourselves and how we survive and mingle with strangers and foreign places.

5. Lyosha Varezhkina
    27 February 2020 / 10:47 am

For me it is freedom, the ability to test myself and learn a lot, to become more open and wise. it is also a huge source of joy and memories

6. 27 February 2020 / 9:04 am

Travel is my stress reliever and my goals in life it helps me to conquer my fear and challenge myself as well. Great post!

7. jmaldia
    27 February 2020 / 2:21 am

Traveling is nurturing to the soul. It’s one of the best thing I love to do with my family.

8. Fran Jorgensen
    26 February 2020 / 10:16 pm

I have always loved to travel! Just discovering new places and people is always refreshing. Traveling by myself has been one of the highlights of my life, I love to be able to travel without an agenda and having the flexibility of doing whatever I feel like on the day. For the most part traveling is actually really tirying though!

9. catherine santiago jose
    26 February 2020 / 3:02 pm

We all loved to travel and it gives us peace of mind to our busy days going through life.