My thoughts on the vegan community

I’ve been vegan for 3.5 years and wrote a whole post on exactly why I went (and still am) vegan.

Last year, I was walking through Guildford, and there was a woman handing out leaflets on the meat industry. She was trying to convince people to go vegan.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with educating people on what goes on in the meat- and dairy industries. But if someone tells me they don’t want to hear about it, I let it go. She didn’t.

In fact, when she heard I was vegan, she started to argue with me that I should be ‘spreading the message’ and help ‘convert people’ to veganism. Which makes it sound a little bit like a cult.

A lot of vegans online are like that. They will react badly to people that aren’t vegan. They swear at them, tell them they shouldn’t be alive and are just plain mean. For no reason other than that the person they’re shouting at isn’t vegan.

I’m vegan for different reasons. For animals, for the environment, for my health… And that’s my choice. I did my research and decided that I didn’t want to support that industry. If someone asks me about why I made that choice, I will tell them. If they don’t, I let them be. And I think that’s the best way to live.

THE END.

Sorry this was a bit of a rant – just had to let it all out. I get really annoyed when people don’t allow others to make their own choices.

1. 17 February 2020 / 3:02 pm

I love vegan people but those who argue with meat lovers aren’t doing so well. I tried going Vegan but I failed so many times so kudos to those who are able to fully switch to this lifestyle!

19 February 2020 / 7:19 pm

You tried! That’s amazing. It’s not for everyone 🙂

2. 13 February 2020 / 1:39 pm

What works for some will not always work with the rest. It’s because we are all unique, we just have similar features but some diet will just really not work even if they look perfect.

3. Rose Ann Sales
    13 February 2020 / 3:59 am

You are so right. It’s great that some people can turn themselves into a vegan. But there are things that some people can and some people can’t and we shouldn’t be mad at them for that.

4. Stella Harper
    13 February 2020 / 3:47 am

I get your point. And I agree with you so much. I love vegan people but those who argue with meat lovers aren’t doing so well. They already made an achievement by being a vegan. That’s hard for other people and they shouln’t compare their achievements to others. They might say it’s a choice. But for super food lovers. It wasn’t,it would be really a tough decision to avoid meat.

19 February 2020 / 7:21 pm

This! If you found it hard to make the choice to go vegan (I know a lot of people didn’t want to give up cheese), you shouldn’t force it on someone else

5. 12 February 2020 / 11:41 pm

Now, that’s something, which I will respect.

Everyone is free to have their own thoughts and beliefs. What you eat/wear should be completely your decision, not of anyone else.

6. 12 February 2020 / 9:34 pm

Yes I understand the importance of being a vegan. Well I have not been able to do that yet though I eat lots of veg and fruits. Thanks for the respect you have on us who are still not a vegan

19 February 2020 / 7:21 pm

We all do what we can!

7. 12 February 2020 / 5:17 pm

You’re right. Some vegans I have met did present themselves as being in a cult. It’s unfortunate because some come off as being very aggressive. I appreciate that you are respectful and aren’t forcing your ideas onto others. A lot of people aren’t like that and they’re upset when others disagree with them.

19 February 2020 / 7:22 pm

I try to stay away from the aggressive ones 🙂

8. aisasami
    12 February 2020 / 4:11 pm

Eating meat should be one’s choice, just like being vegan. I don’t like it when people push their beliefs on someone because we don’t know any better. We made a choice, respect it.

9. 12 February 2020 / 8:48 am

Thank you for respecting us, the no Vegans. I think this is our own choice and it’s really best to respect each other’s decision.

10. Jannie Berendsen
    11 February 2020 / 5:22 pm

mooi stukje Maartje

11. 11 February 2020 / 3:48 pm

Hi, I am no Vegan, and don’t plan to be anytime soon. I really appreciate that you are one of those who respect us for what we eat and I definitely admire you for that!

12. 11 February 2020 / 3:08 pm

Fellow Vegan here too. I still have to use animal products for my business, and often people don’t understand. I think we can all do our part however big or small, but we don’t need to dictate what others do at all. Just the same as the majority of vegans ate meat at one time in their life, and they changed when they were ready. so should others! Completely agree with this post!

19 February 2020 / 7:22 pm

Taking small steps already makes a huge difference! 🙂