Being an Au Pair after Brexit

what does it mean to be an au pair after brexit

On the 31st of January, the UK finally left the European Union. And it was a relief – because it’s all everyone’s been talking about for the last few years. But there’s also a lot of uncertainty amongst young people that want to become an au pair after Brexit, but aren’t sure what this means for them

Since the Brexit vote in 2016, there’s been a huge decline in the number of European au pairs wanting to live and work in England. Because people were concerned and unsure about what it meant that the UK was leaving Europe.

And let’s be honest: things haven’t become any more clear since that vote. The UK government and the EU have a lot more to discuss.

There are a number of things that are clear, though. On AuPairWorld, the most popular website that people can use to find au pairs and host families alike, you can read a full article on the impact Brexit will have on au pairs.

Three things you need to know about being an au pair after Brexit

1. If you were living in the UK before Brexit and aren’t sure when you want to leave, you can apply for the EU Settlement Scheme. This is extremely easy to do and won’t cost you anything.
  2. If you’re going to arrive in the UK as an au pair after Brexit, you don’t have to do anything if you stay ends before the 31st of December 2020.
  3. If your stay is going to be longer and you’re from Europe, you can still come to the UK to be an au pair until January of 2023. The same goes for UK citizens wanting to be an au pair in a country within the EU.
    After arriving in the UK, you can apply for a European Temporary Leave to Remain (Euro TLR) status. This is a 36-month temporary immigration status (much longer than the average au pair stay) and it’s free to apply.

Non-European Au Pairs

If you want to come to the UK as an au pair after Brexit, and you’re from a country that’s not from within the European Union, Brexit won’t change anything for you. Read more about applying for an au pair visa on Au Pair World.com

1. 8 February 2020 / 1:07 pm

Very informative post. I was also wondering what would happen when the UK left too. I wonder what will happen in the future.

2. Eileen M Loya
    6 February 2020 / 10:53 pm

This is very informative. I was also wondering what would happen to the au pairs in UK. This is something I have to keep updated on come 2021. Hopefully this all work out for the best for everyone.

3. 6 February 2020 / 10:42 pm

Yikes, I hadn’t really thought about this and the effect it’s going to have. What a shame!

4. Margaret @ Live Like No One Else
    6 February 2020 / 7:00 pm

Geez. So many complications. I haven’t really been paying attention to Brexit. At least now I know how it affects au pairs. 🙂

5. 6 February 2020 / 6:08 pm

Wow – I had no idea about this. We don’t really know much about this in the US

6. 6 February 2020 / 5:34 pm

This is really useful information for anyone who is thinking of working in this industry. I have always wondered about this!

7. hannahholyfield
    6 February 2020 / 4:42 pm

This is some really great information for those who are trying to make decisions about many of these types of issues. Thank you for sharing!

8. 6 February 2020 / 10:44 am

So many people are going to be affected by Brexit. It’s always best to check your status in plenty of time.

9. Jhentea Guzman
    6 February 2020 / 10:44 am

Thanks for the information. I wasn’t aware about this Brexit rules since I live in a different country. But it nice to know these things.

10. 6 February 2020 / 9:05 am

I have a lot of friends in UK with similar issues , who knows what will happen.

11. 6 February 2020 / 9:04 am

I have read articles and watched many discussions in TV. Good you have highlighted the topic in your blog. Found it interesting.

12. 6 February 2020 / 12:03 am

I’ve read tons of articles about Brexit!!! It is very good that you’re highlighting Au Pair status. Thank you.

13. Joanna
    5 February 2020 / 9:07 pm

The EU rules will still apply until the end of the year, so you can apply for settled status until December. However, who knows what will happen after that…. we have a horrible prime minister who doesn’t seem to care about the people, just about what he wants.

14. 5 February 2020 / 6:28 pm

This is something way more serious that what people think. It affects every aspect of life.