On not doing what you said you were going to do (aka failing)

I’m sure everyone’s had that experience where you get really excited about doing something, tell the whole world about it, maybe even start it, and then burn-out and quit.

If you’ve never done that, you’re magical and I would love to learn your ways.

My most recent failure was the “Living as an Artist”-challenge that I set myself at the beginning of September. It was supposed to be a year-long challenge and I failed after a staggering two months.

And it wasn’t because I didn’t like the idea anymore (I still love the idea). It was because I was creatively burned-out.

I am feeling a lot better after taking two weeks off in December but still not continue that challenge. For now, anyway. If a month comes up with an activity that I’m really excited about, I will do it. But I won’t force myself to do every month.

In today’s world, where we constantly see people succeed in what they’re doing, it can be hard to remember that it’s okay to fail sometimes. Failure can teach you a lot more than success. (This is more of a reminder to myself than anything else.)

Especially with a new year and a new decade starting, a lot of people are setting their goals and resolutions. I know I did. And there’s probably a lot of people that already feel like they failed their goals because they didn’t start straight away. To those people I would like to say: You have an entire year to start working on the goals and resolutions you set for yourself. And as long as you started, and took that one small step towards self-improvement, you didn’t fail.

What was something that you recently failed at?

1. 18 January 2020 / 8:07 am

I love this. It’s important to think about the positive when you fail. It’s difficult, but it’s a great learning experience.

2. Mudpiefridays
    17 January 2020 / 9:37 am

Failure is part of our lives, it is how we overcome this with our perspective.

3. 17 January 2020 / 2:40 am

It’s not always easy to stay creative throughout the week, or even the week. Sometimes you feel overwhelmed and you just need to give yourself a break. Never means you failed though. You just took a break.

4. 16 January 2020 / 6:04 pm

I swore up and down that at the beginning of this year I would become more organized and I have yet to do that. I really hate to think that I am failing at it though.

16 January 2020 / 6:19 pm

Even if you’ve only taken one small step like buying a planner or making a single to-do-list, you haven’t failed yet!!

5. Geraline Batarra
    16 January 2020 / 8:48 am

I had so many failures, but I rather try and fail than not to try. I’m kinda brave when it comes to taking a risk. Just saying.

6. 16 January 2020 / 5:28 am

Failures are inevitable. That’s part of life and even as a young child, I’ve had to accept that not everything is meant for me. The most important thing is how well you bounce back, after falling. Good luck!

7. 16 January 2020 / 3:27 am

You are right, failure can teach even more than success can and that is okay. I guess one failure I had most recently happened last week with one of my lessons. My students were not with it at all. However that experience just made me even stronger because I was better able to see that my students didn’t need instruction in that skill but rather something else. So as long as you are hopefully learning from your mistakes and failures, I would say it’s not that bad at all.

8. Rose Ann Sales
    16 January 2020 / 2:10 am

Nice, thanks for the motivation, this is exactly what I needed, since I failed to maintain my diet this month. So sad.

16 January 2020 / 6:56 am

You can always go back to it! 🙂

9. Alexis
    16 January 2020 / 2:05 am

What have I failied at recently? I feel like I fail at parenting everyday but I also learn something new everyday as well. It’s a journey for sure!

16 January 2020 / 6:57 am

Parenting is definitely hard! I work as an au pair so look after children and know the struggles. As long as you’re learning, you’re doing okay!

10. 15 January 2020 / 10:02 pm

I have to watch what I say to my kiddos because I always get caught with, you said we would……. it’s hard. My follow through sucks.

16 January 2020 / 6:58 am

Haha, yes, kids like to do that if it’s going to benefit them!

11. 15 January 2020 / 9:51 pm

“Failing” is such a hard word in my opinion.. there should be something similar that just defines “well, it didn’t turn out that way, but it’s okay!!”. Sometimes your opinion on something changes, sometimes you have different opportunities later on, but all of this shouldn’t be failing, just something different 🙂

16 January 2020 / 6:58 am

There definitely should be – we just have to come up with a new word for that 🙂

12. Megan Kerry
    15 January 2020 / 2:57 am

I hear you-creator burn out is so hard. There are so many things I want to put out into the world but so little time it seems. We often put so much unneeded pressure on ourselves as creatives don’t you think?