Knitting 101 // Living as an Artist

Month two of my “Living as an Artist“-challenge is over. And this month was all about knitting. I bought some knitting needles from Amazon (the big ones, because they make knitting go a bit faster) and some fake wool from eBay to start knitting a scarf.

When I was in secondary school, we had to do two hours per week of homework. I never had any homework. So I started bringing knitting needles and wool to school. (Yes, I was a bit funny back then.) Because I already knew how to knit, this project went a lot faster than it would’ve gone if I’d had to start from scratch – even if it isn’t hard. I could just go faster.

I’m happy to say that I did complete this project. The scarf is a bit too wide and a bit short and just looks funny in general. But… I didn’t drop any stitches and it’s a scarf that I knitted. And I am now going to donate it because there’s no way I’m ever actually going to wear it out.

I did most of my knitting in the evenings while watching Netflix, or while babysitting and listening to the Potterless podcast. Unlike photography, knitting is not something I’m going to continue doing in the future. But that’s what we’re here for, right? Discovering what we like to create and what we’d rather leave to others.

November is going to be all about writing a story from beginning to end. While I don’t have any solid ideas yet, I think mine might be a spin-off of a short story I published on Amazon two years ago called Long Overdue…

1. 14 November 2019 / 2:07 am

I want try to knit someday. i tried this one way way back before for school project. lol.

2. 14 November 2019 / 12:32 am

Knitting is one craft I’ll always envy from those who knows about it. They can make beautiful clothes and presents by knitting.

3. Alexis
    13 November 2019 / 8:56 pm

I love the color pattern and congrats on finishing the project! Next time you knit a scarf you’ll take these lessons and make the next one better.

4. 13 November 2019 / 5:23 pm

I have been knitting small things all my life. But I wish I could know how to knit big things. It is an awesome way to craft.

13 November 2019 / 5:41 pm

Just keep going for longer 🙂 I started with a scarf – and if you enjoy doing it you can work your way up from there!

5. 13 November 2019 / 10:34 am

I have always wanted to get into knitting. I feel like it is such a fun activity to do when your watching a movie. I want to knit a nice scarf or beanie!

6. Kevin Akidi
    13 November 2019 / 8:29 am

The knitting looks good. when i was younger i used to knit as well, but then i became an adult and somehow i have not done much knitting. Now i feel like trying again.

13 November 2019 / 8:43 am

That’s exactly why I’m doing this challenge! Trying to go back to things I did and loved when I was younger to see if they are still things I enjoy now 🙂

7. Kiwi
    13 November 2019 / 8:26 am

Knitting is such a dedicated hobby. I would love to learn to knit and crochet.

13 November 2019 / 8:43 am

It’s so easy once you know what to do!

8. 13 November 2019 / 6:52 am

I know of a few people who knit and they find it to be so relaxing. I want to try it eventually, but I feel like I don’t have the patience for it. LOL

13 November 2019 / 8:44 am

Haha you definitely need patience! And something else to do at the same time – at least, that’s what I needed! Watching tv or listening to a podcast at the same time makes it less… not boring but more fun.

9. 13 November 2019 / 1:04 am

My mom always loved knitting. It’s such a soothing and beautiful art form. And so cozy!