What I do when I feel uninspired

Two weeks ago I was feeling very bored and unmotivated. I was busy with work, but I just wasn’t enjoying it anymore. I was slacking on my goals, coming up with excuses to not do tasks that I usually enjoy and just sitting around, wasting time. And generally, the longer you stay in that mindset, the harder it is to get out of it.

This time, I came up with the “12 months of living as an artist”-challenge and that definitely got me excited to start doing stuff again. But just in general, these are some of the other ways that I like to motivate and reinspire myself to get back to living life. Because life is too short not to.

Connect with your purpose

This is probably the most important thing you can do for anything. Re-establish why you’re doing things. Re-establish what it is you want out of life and why you want it. When we don’t feel as motivated about what we’re doing, or when we lose inspiration, it’s usually because we have forgotten why we’re doing those things.

I definitely forget why I’m still working on my thesis after almost three years. But then I remind myself that I’m almost done – that in only a few short months I’ll have my bachelor in communications. And how amazing is that going to be?

Write down what you want out of life and be specific. And then write down why you want it. For me, I want to create. I love writing, I love being creative. Even as a translator, I’m creating things. (This is probably why a challenge where I have to create art for an entire year got me really motivated.)

Change your routines and habits

When I’m feeling unmotivated, it’s sometimes because things are always the same. I’m just going through the motions. There are certain things that you can’t change – like work. But waking up at a different time, going to classes at the gym, reading a book instead of watching Netflix… There are so many different ways that you can change up your life.

Change up your environment

Our environment really affects the way we feel. I can’t concentrate on anything if my house or the room I’m in is messy. I want things to be clean and organised.

And even then, sometimes, you just have to move stuff around. Put your desk in a different place. Add a nice plant to your room. Or get a scented candle. Just anything to change up your room will make you feel happy and more inspired.

Make an inspiration board

I love doing this on Pinterest. Put things together that make you feel happy. Whether it’s pictures of coffee, nature, places you want to visit, books, whatever. It’s crazy how well this works!

Write down your future life

If someone told you that you were going five years into the future, what will your life be like? Don’t write down what you want it to be. Write down what it will be like.

“I’m going to be living here. I will have accomplished these things. I’ll be wearing these clothes.”

Writing it down and having it on a piece of paper works so much better than just thinking about it. Because if you can read it every time you feel uninspired, you’ll remember what you’re working towards. And you’ll start working towards that life.

1. 17 October 2019 / 7:04 pm

There are some really great tips here. I love the one about changing up your environment. I find even going for a short walk helps to increase my motivation.

2. Nicz E
    17 October 2019 / 6:59 am

Nice tips..! I will definitely keep this in mind to keep me motivated whenever I don’t feel like. Thanks for sharing such a positive vibes.

3. 17 October 2019 / 3:49 am

I was down and alone 6 years ago (due to personal reason) and the first thing I did was to change my environment. It was really a huge help.

4. 17 October 2019 / 1:31 am

I just had a meltdown this morning and I feel like giving up in one of my passion. My husband talked me through it and it helped. Sometimes we had to just to let it out when we think we are failing or bored or not going anywhere.

5. 16 October 2019 / 7:43 pm

Great to see such motivating article. This just made my day.

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post.

6. 16 October 2019 / 1:40 pm

Reading this article gave me goosebumps. I have gone through waves of feeling uninspired and de-motivated over the past 5 years and you have provided some very useful and practical ways to get out of a funk. Thank you!

7. 16 October 2019 / 8:51 am

This is such a great tips! I will surely get one on this. It’s really helpful and motivational! Thank you so much!

8. Alyssa Dawson
    16 October 2019 / 7:04 am

Such great ideas! I love writing down all the things that I need to accomplish and going from there.

9. 16 October 2019 / 7:00 am

Lovely post. I am too not a same routine person. I love to alter my activities and do something new and innovative always. I struggle but at the end it brings out your inner self. Very inspiring post. I like people like you who spread goodwill and positivity. This also shows how better a person you are as an individual.

10. 16 October 2019 / 3:43 am

I really think the big thing is, as you said, not being scared to change up your routines and habits. If your previous routines and habits aren’t working for you, then why be so scared to change them?

11. Maureen
    16 October 2019 / 12:49 am

I love to change my routines and habits as I get bored doing the same things, might not be a good idea in some cases, but I enjoy it.

12. Nate
    15 October 2019 / 5:58 pm

Changing your environment is the #1 that should be taken into consideration if you’re looking to break through. Great post!

13. itsahero
    15 October 2019 / 5:32 pm

I’ve been desperately trying to remember my purpose so that I can regain my focus!

14. Alexis
    15 October 2019 / 4:36 pm

I love how you recommended writing down your future life. Goal setting and thinking about where you want to be in a few years is so important.

• Twinspirational
      16 October 2019 / 10:43 am

I couldn’t agree more.. Changing your usual routine can definitely fight boredom and writing down my goals inspires me most of the time.