Figuring things out

When I decided to be an au pair for another year (with a different family), people started to tell me that I had to be careful to not get “stuck” in this job. Because it’s an easy one to get stuck in. I’ve had many friends who didn’t know what they wanted to do and were an au pair for almost ten years, without ever moving forward or doing anything to develop themselves further, but always saying that they wanted to do something else.

I’m not saying that there’s anything wrong with not doing much during your time as an au pair. If you’re doing it during a gap year, it’s a great way to relax and get some time for yourself while exploring a new country and learning a new language. But if you’re doing it for a longer period of time, you have to find something that will keep you busy and help you develop your skills.

Right now, with the way my life is, the work I’m doing, I’m really comfortable and happy. I feel like I’m still making progress in growing my own business (if you’re looking for a translator, hit me up!) and in life. I constantly look for new things to learn and start new projects to keep myself busy.

Staying an au pair for a bit longer than I first expected is a way for me to keep doing what I want to do and to live in a way that I want to live. And to keep growing my savings. While I don’t know exactly what I want to do with my life, I do know what I don’t want to do. I don’t want a 9 to 5 job where I have to go in every day. I don’t want a boss telling me what to do and when to get it done. I want to determine my own hours. Doing what? I’m not sure. And that’s fine. I have plenty of time to figure that out.

I know the path I’ve chosen isn’t the most conventional, but it’s what I want to do. I’m excited to pursue the things I’m currently pursuing and I want to keep living the way I’ve been for the last two years. So to the people worrying that I might get stuck: I won’t. I’m just living my life in a way that’s different from the way other people do it. And that’s okay – because it’s what works for me.

1. 14 June 2019 / 9:42 am

Finding yourself and what makes you happy is a journey we should all strive to be on. i started my journey and I am surprised about things I never knew of myself

2. 14 June 2019 / 3:13 am

I think it’s great you are doing what you want. If you’re happy go with it. The only one that can live your life is you!

3. 13 June 2019 / 10:15 pm

Hey as long as your happy that really is truly all that matters. Just take your time and do it your way 🙂

4. 13 June 2019 / 6:15 pm

Remember this, life is short. Be happy, be grateful. Take time to know yourself and what you want to do in life and then focus on achieving that.

5. Elizabeth O
    13 June 2019 / 3:25 pm

I love your spirit. No one should maneuver your life. You are your own captain. Follow your heart and enjoy every moment of it.

6. jeannette9712gmailcom
    13 June 2019 / 1:57 pm

Follow your own path! I think it is great you can do something that at least helps you travel and have some freedom while you are young!

7. Rosey A
    13 June 2019 / 1:54 pm

Good luck to you on finding that successful path. I think it’s admirable that you have set your path and are moving forward to achieve your goal of no 9 to 5!

8. themimiodyssey
    13 June 2019 / 7:51 am

Life is too short so do what makes you happy!

9. Lyosha Varezhkina
    13 June 2019 / 7:10 am

If you are happy than do it, go for it or stay there. your emotions are the most important as long it is enough for you

10. 12 June 2019 / 6:57 pm

Happiness is the most important thing of all. Thanks for a beautiful post.

11. 12 June 2019 / 6:17 pm

Thanks for sharing this uplifting post and showing us to follow our mind. At the end of the day we should be happy with what we are doing.

12. 11 June 2019 / 11:22 pm

As long as you’re happy, who cares if anyone thinks you should be ‘moving forward’ or chasing different dreams! You’re happy and comfortable where you are and most people aren’t happy with their jobs anyway:)

13. Kate Murray
    11 June 2019 / 9:41 pm

Being a translator is nothing to sneeze at! And definitely agree with the above comment…as long as you’re happy, that’s all that matters!