Why you should travel solo at least once

The past two years, I’ve mostly been travelling around the UK (though I’ve also been to Tenerife and Iceland). On my own. And I’ve already written a post with the pros and cons of travelling solo. But I want to expand on that post. Because while travelling with friends or a partner is great, it’s a completely different experience from travelling solo.

Instead of doing what you want to do and seeing the things you want to see, you have to make compromises. Travelling on your own gives you the rare opportunity to be completely selfish and do exactly what you want to do when you want to do it.

I enjoy travelling with friends and family, but there is nothing I love more than going on a hike early in the morning, with no one else there. I love that amazing feeling of wandering through streets of a new city and feeling absolutely free. Here are some of the reasons why I believe that everyone should travel solo at least once.

You’ll meet people that change you

While travelling on your own, you will meet many people. And they will help change your entire perspective on love and life. You may stay with them for a day or for the entire trip. No matter how long you hang out, they will have an effect on your life. There is something about travelling that allows people to share parts of themselves that they wouldn’t share with their friends and family at home. Because there’s a good chance you won’t ever see the person you’re telling those things again. I met a girl last summer when I was camping in Penzance. We only spoke for about an hour while having breakfast but we are friends on Facebook and I’m planning a trip to Sweden to meet up with her this year.

You’ll question everything

No matter where you go or what you do, travelling will lead you to question the world around you. Things you once considered certain are replaced with new beliefs that are founded on experience rather than a distorted message brought to you by the media.

You’ll realise just how capable you are

It is incredibly scary to get on a plane and head somewhere new. To a place where you don’t know the language and where you don’t know the way. Doing it on your own helps you realise just how capable you are of solving problems and getting around a foreign city.

You’ll learn to be alone

While you will meet new people while on the road, there will be times where you’ll be completely alone with your thoughts, with nothing to distract you. (Believe me, after a while, you get sick and tired of reading another book or watching something on Netflix via a shitty WiFi-connection.) This is when you learn to be alone. And that is one of the most important things anyone can learn. Because if you can be alone, you don’t need anyone else in your life. Of course, that doesn’t mean you’re never going to have a happy relationship. It just means that it’s not the end of the world if you don’t find your significant other straight away.

Travelling solo can be hard. It’s not always glamorous or Instagram-worthy. But it’s worth it to do at least once in your life.

1. Elizabeth O
    5 April 2019 / 7:25 am

I definitely agree that we should travel solo once in awhile, it will definitely change our outlook in life.

2. 5 April 2019 / 5:33 am

My first international travel was solo flight It became the most memorable experience ever

3. 4 April 2019 / 7:49 pm

I have seen posts of women that travel solo a few times. I always impressed my your independence and courage, the father in me always wants to say are you nuts. I know what how you feel about traveling solo, I have gone away to work a couple of times and stayed on my own. I was able to sight see on my down time and it was a great experience.

4. 4 April 2019 / 4:32 pm

Yes, I agree. When i travelled to belgium, i had a friend that completely changed my perspective on certain things.

5. Terri Ramsey Beavers
    3 April 2019 / 10:05 pm

I am so glad you wrote this post and I agree 100%. More people should travel solo. I live alone and travel alone 99% of the time and it’s wonderful to be able to do what I want, when I want and it gives me a sense of being very capable.

6. 3 April 2019 / 9:04 pm

I have never thought of traveling alone, it does seem pretty stressful just to think about honestly. But this is still a very powerful idea. Maybe I’ll give it a shot one day.

7. 3 April 2019 / 8:50 pm

As I have gotten older I have learned to appreciate the time that I have with myself. I agree with you!

8. 3 April 2019 / 5:53 pm

Love this! I traveled solo for the first time last year and I can’t wait to do it again. I love the feeling of being free, like you mentioned and finding out hoe capable you are on your own. I can’t wait to do it again next year! I actually just said yesterday that Iceland would be a great place to solo travel. 😉

9. 2 April 2019 / 6:21 pm

I do travel solo sometimes and have learnt so much from it.

10. Tammie
    2 April 2019 / 4:51 pm

I’ve never traveled alone, and think I would be scared to do it. But I do see your point about the avantages of it.

2 April 2019 / 4:53 pm

It’s definitely scary! I’d recommend maybe just going on a weekend trip somewhere in your own country – that way, you know the language and it would only be for a few days!

11. 2 April 2019 / 3:47 pm

Oh I have done this and it was the best thing I could have ever done for myself. Ever. It was back in 2014/2015 and man oh man, it really helped me just clear my head and when I returned, everything in my life just sort of fell into place 😉

12. Yes once in a lifetime you should do a solo travel away from your phone and just explore the whole place and go for a walk around the whole new place and explore the place to yourself.

13. 2 April 2019 / 2:02 pm

This year my wish is traveling solo at least once. Never done it before so nervous but excited as well. 😊

2 April 2019 / 4:53 pm

That’s awesome! I’m so excited for you! Have you decided on where you want to go yet?

14. 2 April 2019 / 12:54 pm

i absolutely love traveling on my own. there is a kind of peace about it. it’s really awesome.

15. 2 April 2019 / 11:33 am

Learning to be alone is certainly something I appreciated from travelling solo 🙂

Debs