Ways to reduce your ecological footprint

In the past few years, I’ve really gotten into reducing my ecological footprint. And people joke about me trying to save the earth all on my own. Recently, an article came out about how we only have 12 years to start reversing the damage we’ve done to our planet. And while there are still a lot of people who don’t believe in global warming, they are a minority. And just because they aren’t trying to

These are some of the things I do (and that you could do to) that make your ecological footprint as small as possible.

Go vegan

Going vegan isn’t for everyone and it’s fine if you still want to eat meat and dairy. But you could, in that case, at least try to cut down on your meat and dairy intake. I already wrote a post about why I went vegan and it definitely wasn’t for any environmental reasons.

Going vegan is one of the easiest ways to reduce your carbon and ecological footprint. Not only does it reduce greenhouse gases but it also reduces global acidification, land use and water use.

Use less plastic

I am nowhere near as extreme as those people that have two years of trash in one glass jar. I do still use plastic. But I try to limit the amount I use as much as possible.

• bring your own bags to the shops
  • invest in a reusable coffee cup and bring that with you instead of getting a take-away cup every time. I’ve actually forbidden myself from buying coffee somewhere if I don’t have my own cup with me.
  • go on Amazon or eBay, buy some reusable fruit/vegetable bags and use those instead of the thin ones they have in shops that break as soon as you put one apple in them.

Use a menstrual cup instead of tampons/pads

More and more women are starting to use menstrual cups instead of tampons/pads. I am one of them. I bought mine last year but only really actively started using it a few months ago. And I am never going back. Not only can you use a menstrual cup for up to ten years (think of how many tampons/pads you would be using in that time!) but they also feel cleaner. At least, they do for me.

Shop second-hand

The fashion industry has a horrible impact on the environment because, in most countries that our clothing is produced, they dump untreated toxic wastewaters directly into the rivers. That lead back to sea. The substances in this water are toxic for aquatic life and the health of millions of people living by those rivers banks is affected by this.

Find eco-friendly ways to travel

Another thing that you can also do to reduce your carbon and ecological footprint is not travelling by aeroplane. Now, this is one that I’ve not yet given into, solely because I love to travel and want to see the world. But that doesn’t mean you can’t take care of the environment while travelling.

These are all small things that you can do that are environmentally friendly. And a lot of people will say: “But I’m only one person. It’s not going to help so I might as well keep doing what I’ve always done.” And I can see the reasoning behind that. But doesn’t it feel better to know that you’re at least trying to make the world a better, healthier place?

Do you have any other tips for what you could do to save the environment?

1. Kylie
    24 March 2019 / 8:02 am

I loved absolutely everything about this! Well done on sharing something positive for the world! Now – if only I had the confidence to try a menstral cup! eeekk!

27 March 2019 / 8:47 am

I totally get that the idea of it freaks you out! It freaked me out in the beginning but you really get used to it!

2. Ellie Plummer
    22 March 2019 / 12:10 pm

I have been thinking about this a lot lately and I have definitely been making more of an effort to use less plastic. This is such an important change that we all need to make.

3. 22 March 2019 / 10:59 am

Thanks for sharing this. We all need to do what is right in order to save the enrvironment. Let’s act now.

4. Gaica
    21 March 2019 / 8:39 am

Great tips! It’s always helpful to conserve our nature let us share the awareness to help our enviroment. And recycle!

5. Rebecca Sanchez
    21 March 2019 / 8:38 am

I am really becoming conscious of waste in my home. We are making steps to decrease that especially food waste. It is so shocking how much food ppl throw away.

6. Alexandra Cook
    21 March 2019 / 8:37 am

These are all excellent ideas. We already recycle, use reusable bags and water bottles, and compost. I’m always on the lookout for even more things to do to help take care of the planet, though.

7. Glam
    21 March 2019 / 6:32 am

Such a great post, We definitely learn a lot from this.

8. 21 March 2019 / 5:03 am

I haven’t gone for for a menstrual cup yet, but the kids and I are both vegan!

9. 21 March 2019 / 12:26 am

I am really concerned with the environment and try to make smart choices in my home, these are tips I hadn’t really thought about and plan to try to implement. it,.

21 March 2019 / 4:46 pm

Glad these tips help you! 😊

10. sdamasceno
    20 March 2019 / 7:08 pm

I have been eating a lot with a girl at work who is vegan and she has really opened my eyes to a lot of useful tips.

11. 20 March 2019 / 6:29 pm

I do a lot of the things you mentioned here for non-environmental reasons. I use a Diva cup bc pads/tampons cause irritation, I buy second-hand because items tend to be more unique and cheaper. Some things, like packing my lunch in glass containers and small tote bags instead of ziploc/brown paper bags are strictly to reduce waste. The best way to get people to act better towards the environment is to convince them that these changes will help them and fit into their lifestyle, instead of framing it like “sacrifice __ to fix global warming”.

21 March 2019 / 4:46 pm

Definitely agree with you there! If people feel like it’s an inconvenience for them, they won’t change!

12. alwaysusebutter
    20 March 2019 / 2:43 pm

These are some great tips for reducing your ecological footprint! I try to do what I can – going vegan doesn’t feel like an option, and I still want to travel, but I try to go for less meat (dairy especially cheese is the one I can’t ever let go off!) and less/more conscious travel.

21 March 2019 / 4:45 pm

Eating less meat is already going to have a huge impact! Lots of people don’t want to give up cheese so I completely understand that you don’t feel like you could go vegan. About the travelling; I feel the same way. There’s no way I’m going to give that up. I’ll just try to find more sustainable ways to do that

13. Gervin Khan
    20 March 2019 / 1:32 pm

These are great tips and I do believe that it can really helps us to reduce waste and save our environment. Thanks for sharing this with us!

14. Jasmine M
    20 March 2019 / 1:03 pm

These are some great ideas! I know I love to shop secondhand at thrift stores and the Salvation Army. I just recently started eating less meat and it does make me feel better about reducing my footprint as well as bettering my health too.

21 March 2019 / 4:36 pm

Why did you start eating less meat? 😊

15. 20 March 2019 / 12:52 am

Great tips on being eco friendly. Will try out the menstral cup.

21 March 2019 / 4:36 pm

Thanks 😊 I really recommend it! Just try out a few different brands if the first one you try doesn’t work for you!

16. Nicole Anderson
    20 March 2019 / 12:50 am

Great points made here and ones that I would hope more and more people start to put into practice. We really need to achieve a conscious and critical mass if we are to get serious about saving our planet.

17. Michael David Oyco
    20 March 2019 / 12:09 am

Use less plastic please! The world need to follow this ASAP before its too late.

21 March 2019 / 4:35 pm

So true! Really hope that more people are going to realise this!

18. 19 March 2019 / 7:16 pm

I will continue to use less plastic and consider eco-friendly alternative ways to travel.

19. 19 March 2019 / 6:52 pm

These are all great ways to reduce our footprints and better help our worlds health. I always shop second hand, it doesn’t make sense to always get the new stuff when there’s plenty of great clothing that is in good condition