Minimalism or Decluttering

A couple of months ago, when Marie Kondo’s series on Netflix came out, I watched all of the episodes in a single weekend. Before that, I loved watching videos on YouTube of people decluttering. I still do. I declutter my stuff quite regularly and only own things that make me happy. But does that make me a minimalist? Or am I just decluttering?

What is minimalism?

Minimalism can mean two different things:

• Getting rid of almost everything you own so you don’t have to keep and clean possessions and other materialistic things
  • Intentionally focusing on the things that matter to you and getting rid of everything that distracts you from what you love

The difference between minimalism and decluttering

The difference between decluttering your life and being a minimalist is that one of them is an action, the other a lifestyle. The idea of minimalism is cutting back on everything in your life: living in a smaller house, having a capsule wardrobe, only owning the essentials. When you declutter, you get rid of things you no longer use or want.

Decluttering and privilege

One problem that I do have with minimalism and decluttering is that it feels like a huge waste. I donate things I no longer want to charity. And that really makes me realise just how privileged I am. How privileged people in the western world are. Because why would we get rid of things we once wanted and saved up for just because we changed our minds about them anymore? There are so many people in third-world countries that live with nothing. And they don’t have a choice.

It’s so easy to get hooked to the idea of being a minimalist. Because in theory, it all sounds great. Who doesn’t want less stress in their lives? Who doesn’t want more time? Who doesn’t want to save money by not buying all of the things?

There are moments where I consider packing clothes in a backpack and going on a trip around the world. And I might still do that. But that doesn’t mean I’m going to get rid of the books I love so much, or my fancier dresses that I don’t wear more than two or three times a year.

What do you think of minimalism?

1. scrapbookadventures365
    15 March 2019 / 10:21 pm

I think I need more minimalism in my life and my house!

2. 15 March 2019 / 7:52 am

Minimalism for me just like simple and easy form, and that is usually I am applied to my life especially on my work

3. 14 March 2019 / 7:57 pm

I’m definitely a minimalist in the sense of intentionally focusing on the things that matter to you and getting rid of everything that distracts you from what you love

4. Alexandra Cook
    14 March 2019 / 10:53 am

the minimalism style really is a mood everyone can adapt although it is not easy, the result you”ll get after the big change is really satisfactory

5. 14 March 2019 / 9:17 am

Minimalism for me means posessing only those things that really matter to me that can include a whole bookshelf full of books that I love, so in a sense I’m not a full-on minimalist. But, I do prefer a decluttered home & mind. For me, it’s more about not hoarding, owning things that I need rather than just because I feel like it, being clear on my priorities & respecting things by not shoving them at the back of the closet forgotten & useless…I’d much rather someone who has a need for it, use it.
    – Nandita

6. 14 March 2019 / 6:30 am

I have to declutter monthly! I cannot have so much around me. The Minimalist look is so chic!

7. alwaysusebutter
    13 March 2019 / 8:27 pm

I am so NOT a minimalist – but I sometimes really wish I was. However, every time I do actually throw away stuff I end up regretting it. Clothes I find myself wishing I kept like 5 years later and so on.. so now I’m protesting against the whole concept and will not be Marie Kondoing anything thank you very much! 😉

8. Annabel Okeya
    13 March 2019 / 4:35 pm

I admire minimalists a lot but every now and then I like to declutter and get rid of some things I no longer use by giving them away.

9. 13 March 2019 / 2:45 pm

Minimalism is actually practiced by most of Japanese people. I have watch videos on youtube about this and tries to do it but its really hard especially you are living in a city. But if you are in a rural place where you can spend your time in a garden or with nature, its easier to declutter things.

10. 13 March 2019 / 2:29 pm

To me minimalism is the mode when I have lesser number of choices to make but still be contented.

11. 13 March 2019 / 5:48 am

Being a minimalism sound easy but its not an easy thing to do especially when to your so attached to it but I also think is important so it has to be done.Thanks for the post.

12. 12 March 2019 / 6:05 pm

I love the way minimalism looks and the mood it gives me when I see it. But normally that’s when I watch other people live the minimalistic lifestyle. I am really not that person naturally so it would take a complete revamping of my life to do it. Ugh….one day.

13. 12 March 2019 / 2:50 pm

I just told my husband yesterday that my closet needs an INTENSE spring cleaning. INTENSE. We moved into our house in June of last year and I feel like since then we have accumulated so much CRAP, it’s not even funny. The thought of ever moving again sounds HORRIFIC!