How To Make Yourself Feel At Home

It can be scary to go to a foreign country and leave behind your family, friends, pets and all earthly possessions. You have to start all over, and while I just thought it was very exciting, I understand that it’s easy to miss home.

A couple of months ago, I wrote about how to deal with homesickness. One of the tips I mentioned in that post was to make the new home your home. While you still have to remember that you’re living in someone else’s house (so don’t go and paint the walls some weird bright colour) you can decorate your room a bit. Also, keep in mind that you’re only going to be there for a year and that you’ll have to move everything you buy back home or get rid of it.

Here are some easy ways to make your room feel more like your own.

• Unpack

This might seem very easy, but it’s so important to unpack all your stuff and put it away when you first arrive in your new home. Living out of your suitcase is not going to help you feel settled!

• Put up pictures on the wall

Pictures of friends and family back home or pictures and quotes you found online. Whatever you put on your wall, it should make you happy!

• Set up familiar music

Speakers don’t have to cost much and using them to play music you like will make you feel more at ease and help you relax.

• Prioritise your bed

This is where you will be spending a lot of time. Might as well be comfy, right? Buy a nice throw and a couple of small pillows to make it look extra cosy.

What would you do to make yourself more at home?

1. 20 November 2018 / 4:29 pm

We have moved to many times. The first thing I set up now is my stereo. Finding and setting the local radio stations or getting a playlist going. Iā€™m home.

2. Brit Strawbridge
    20 November 2018 / 3:50 pm

These are great tips! I am such a homebody and can definitely see the value in doing those things. Music helps a ton!

3. mrhappywork
    20 November 2018 / 5:37 am

I’m terrible about any type of travel. Even after only a few days I’m homesick and ready to get back home. I sometimes have to travel for business for extended periods and will definitely use some of these tips on the longer trips.

4. amandahrosson
    20 November 2018 / 12:43 am

These are all such great tips for preventing homesickness – especially the one about unpacking! That’s one thing I always try to do to help me feel more at home <3

5. 19 November 2018 / 5:53 pm

I think unpacking is key to feeling more comfortable whenever you are sleeping away from home. It gets you away from living out of your suitcase, which can be stressful and disorganized in itself.

6. 18 November 2018 / 11:27 pm

Great tips. Buying extra comfortable pillow speaks a lot to me because my bed usually have 4 to six pillows in order to feel comfortable.

7. 18 November 2018 / 7:25 pm

I don’t think I ever had homesickness and have been living in a foreign country for 12 yrs and still haven’t put any pictures on the walls. Last week I finally went and bought some adhesive tapes that won’t damage walls šŸ™‚

8. 18 November 2018 / 6:36 pm

I love that you mention unpacking! We tend to live out of suitcases when we move for far too long and I really only feel settled when our clothes are in drawers!

9. Surekha Busa
    18 November 2018 / 3:36 pm

Nice tips but definitely prioritizing my bed is number one for me. I don’t care if I am not unpacking my things as long as the bed looks and it feels more comfortable I am already good with that.

10. Clare Minall
    18 November 2018 / 10:12 am

Whenever I get homesick I always call my mom. I am an introvert and being away with family I feel like it affects me so much.

11. Helen Neale
    18 November 2018 / 10:10 am

Such a great tips, This can be very helpful for those away with their family especially this coming Holidays.

12. 18 November 2018 / 9:47 am

I did actually move to a foreign country for a time. Agree with everything you said here. To add to this, I didn’t buy everything new. I brought some stuff from home and what was familiar like some sheets and towels. it just made it comforting šŸ™‚

13. Ana
    18 November 2018 / 5:08 am

I totally agree with all the points that you’ve mentioned in this post! When I get homesick, I face time my mom!

14. 17 November 2018 / 2:27 pm

I definitely would unpack first thing. Then I would go out and buy a couple of books–come back to whereever I was staying-curl up on the couch or bed and read–That would make me feel like I was home!

15. Nate
    16 November 2018 / 9:36 pm

I usually do not get homesick but I have a traveling buddy that is always homesick. Will suggest some of these tips!

16. 16 November 2018 / 3:43 pm

These are great tips. Even when I am traveling for a short amount of time I try to do these so I do not get homesick.