Interview with Elysa // Au Pair Experiences

Elysa was an au pair for only a week before her host family kicked her out. She still doesn’t know what it was exactly that went wrong, but today she’s sharing her experience as an au pair in England.

What were your reasons to choose the UK as your destination for being an Au Pair?

I chose England because I’d been there before and I thought it was a wonderful country. I also wanted to perfect my English.

What do you think is the most important trait an Au Pair should have?

I believe that an au pair should be a kind person who is respectful and has a good education so that she can help the kids with their homework.

What did you like about being an au pair?

I really enjoyed meeting people from a lot of different countries.

What did you absolutely hate about being an au pair?

I think that if it had gone well and I’d stayed longer, I wouldn’t have hated anything. I think what made me unhappy was having to do so much housekeeping and not having a lot of contact with my host family.

You were only an au pair for a week. What do you think went wrong?

The host family seemed really cool and they were extremely nice when talking to me. But then they would give me chores that would take me all day and complain about me not looking happy while I was doing them. No one likes doing chores. I spent over 700 euros for travel because they kept sending me back to France (they went on holiday, so there was nothing to do for me on the starting date we agreed on). When I went back to France for good, they didn’t offer to drive me to the airport or said goodbye. I had to get there on my own. And that’s not easy with three suitcases.

If you would be an au pair again, what would you look for in a host family?

I think that if I decided to become an au pair again, I would be more careful when selecting a host family. I would ask them to pay me for the week in advance. That way, if they do send me home a week later, I’d at least be paid for the work I did (the family I was with didn’t pay me for any of the work I did). I would also look for a family with slightly older children because I realised during my week as an au pair that really young children are not for me. But that’s my own fault and has nothing to do with the family.

Would you recommend becoming an au pair to someone else?

I would definitely recommend it to other people. Just because I came back and had a bad experience does not mean that others won’t have a good experience. I think it’s something that you need to do at least once in your life. Go to a different country and get more independent. You can discover a lot of things about yourself and about the country that way!

1. 6 November 2018 / 11:38 am

Very Nice Post, I learned a lot through it. Thanks for posting.

2. StuartBrazell
    31 October 2018 / 7:37 am

Oh my goodness that sounds like a really awful experience! Hopefully if you try again it will be much improved!

3. 26 October 2018 / 12:12 pm

I would try to look for a full time job rather than being a Au Pair, but UK will definitely be my choice!

31 October 2018 / 7:56 pm

For me, becoming an au pair was my way in to England:) I’m building up my own business and will be moving to my own flat at the end of this school year 🙂

4. 26 October 2018 / 11:28 am

Very interesting and informative interview. I like that it’s not too long and not too short at the same time. It’s pretty sad that things turned out that bad

5. 26 October 2018 / 6:03 am

I didn’t even know what an Au Pair was until I read this post and looked it up. I am truly horrified that she has such a bad experience. I am wishing nothing but that best for Elysa.

6. 26 October 2018 / 4:19 am

So sorry to know about Elysa’s Au Pair experience. I hope she finds a better host next time.

7. Geraline Batarra
    26 October 2018 / 4:14 am

I think being an Au Pair is not an easy job most especially the thing that you are going to live your country and stay with other family that you really don’t know and I hope that Elysa will find a better host family next time.

8. Catherine Santiago Jose
    26 October 2018 / 3:17 am

That is really a bad experience but I am sure that, that experience will not stop you to get your dream come true.

9. 25 October 2018 / 2:24 pm

Oh no so sorry to hear. I hope she will have better luck next time.

10. 25 October 2018 / 3:10 am

Being an Au Pair is not an easy task and to top it off the family didnt pay her? That is not right.

11. 25 October 2018 / 12:04 am

I feel bad that happened but I think this was a learning experience for Elysa…and other people that intend to become au pairs.

12. 24 October 2018 / 11:10 pm

I’m sorry to read your experience was less than stellar. In the future, asking to be paid a week in advance is probably not a bad idea. Good luck on your next au pair adventure.

13. 24 October 2018 / 4:23 pm

One of my best friends moved away about 12 years ago to NZ and never returned. She was an au pair for a while, but then got a real job, and got her residency over there. I am thrilled that she was able to go over there and stay, she seems far happier!

14. 24 October 2018 / 10:51 am

So sory to know about that bad experience has an au pair. That family was so incorrect. I hope that Elysa has a better luck next time and, that she don´t give ut trying.