There are some things that you can try to explain to someone else, but that only au pairs will actually understand. Because this lifestyle is great, but you can’t compare it to anything else.
So here’s a list of things that only au pairs will understand
- Explaining to people that you are an au pair and then having to explain what an au pair is
- People thinking that your host kids are really your kids
“Do I really look old enough to have a ten-year-old kid?”
- Hating it when people think being an au pair is like being a nanny. But at the same time describing your job that way because it’s the easiest explanation
- Thinking that you will save your pocket money so you can travel but it’s all gone the next day
- Taking the kids to school in your pyjamas – because some days you just can’t be bothered to get dressed
- Kids keep correcting your English or laugh at you for pronouncing things wrong
- Realising that no one is going to ever be able to pronounce your name right
- Despite our job, not all au pairs are that fond of kids
- Having one of your host parents confide in you about something personal and really feeling like part of the family
- Not leaving your room on the weekend because you’re exhausted but making sure that everyone back at home thinks you’re soaking up the culture and practising a new language with your cool foreign friends
- Being too lazy to try and pronounce the word right so you just talk in your natural accent
I’ve never actually really tried to change my accent – that might be part of why I still sound more American than English…
- Going on a date and telling them about all the things your kids did
Warning: this does not usually end well. Turns out boys aren’t all that interested in children that they don’t know. Who’d have thought?
- Getting frustrated when the kids’ grandparents are around because they let the kids do whatever they want and it takes you days to get them to act like normal human beings after a visit
- Hating work-from-home days because it messes with your schedule
Comment below if you know something else about life as an au pair that only au pairs would understand!