Day Trip to Cambridge

About halfway through September, I put my car up for sale. And then, I started to freak out. Because once I sold it, I wouldn’t be able to drive anywhere anymore. So, keeping my fingers crossed that I wouldn’t find a buyer straight away, I planned a day trip to Cambridge. I visited Oxford last year in October, so it was about time for me to visit the other famous university in England.

Saturday morning, I left the house around seven and started to make my way to Cambridge. I bought a coffee on the way there and sang my heart out to some of my favourite songs. About two hours later, I arrived at the Park and Ride and got on the bus to the city centre.

Cambridge is quite small (and has a very medieval feel with its old buildings and small streets), so even though I got there really early, it was already busy. There are also lots of people using a bike to get around. Not as many as in the Netherlands, but a fair few. And while I almost got run over by cyclists in the Netherlands, they are slightly more careful in Cambridge. Or more used to people not expecting cyclists.

Things to do and see in Cambridge:

• St. John’s college
  • Trinity College
  • The Wren library
    This library is part of the Trinity College and was designed by Christopher Wren in 1676. It houses historical books like Isaac Newton’s notebook and the manuscript of Winnie-the-Pooh. I really wanted to go here, but it was only open to the public from 10.30 till 12.30. This is what happens if I don’t do any research before going to a new city.
  • King’s college
  • Go punting on the river Cam
    You can hire your own punt, but you can also get a guided tour by one of the many students (less of a struggle).
  • The Fitzwilliam Museum
    Worth a visit just to see the building. Inside (admission is free) you will find medieval manuscripts, Egyptian carvings, Turner’s watercolours, Michelangelo’s sculptures and much more.
  • Cambridge University Botanic Gardens

Cambridge is a good city to visit if you want to get in the mood to go back to school. I found myself considering doing a masters just so that I could study in one of those amazing colleges. Other than that, I didn’t like Cambridge as much as I expected. I definitely prefer Oxford’s wider streets and liveliness.

1. Emily Leary
    9 October 2018 / 11:20 am

Cambridge is so beautiful. It looks like a place you only see in grand movies.

2. 6 October 2018 / 2:32 am

A friend of mine did something similar while she was in school. Such a beautiful city/scenery 🙂

3. 4 October 2018 / 7:46 pm

I’ve never visited this place prior to reading your article. It looks really peaceful and scenic. Hope to visit with my bf one day!

4. happilyeverdeb
    4 October 2018 / 1:56 pm

i’ve actually always wanted to go to Cambridge because it’s literally my kind of scenery. I spend so much time making a dream board and visiting this place is on there.

5. 3 October 2018 / 1:49 am

These pictures are so gorgeous! I’m in the UK at least once a year and would love to visit Cambridge on one of those trips.

6. 2 October 2018 / 10:24 pm

Looks beautiful! I love the architecture and beautiful greens. I’d love to visit someday!

7. Ellie Plummer
    2 October 2018 / 9:50 pm

Cambridge is beautiful, there’s so much to see and do there. I love your pictures, they’re beautiful

8. mrhappywork
    2 October 2018 / 5:53 pm

This looks so lovely! I would love to visit someday. Thank you for sharing your experience and the great photos!

9. 2 October 2018 / 4:28 pm

Sounds like tons of fun! i haven’t been to UK for years still I really want to come back. This country makes me feel good. Day trip to Cambridge sounds ideal to me

10. 2 October 2018 / 3:39 pm

Okay first of all, I know this a little unrelated to the post but you are so beautiful! 🙂 Anyway, I’ve heard of it but never actually been. Everything looks like a castle! I think my husband has actually been, the area in general has so much to see and it’s so so different from places around here. This is absolutely on my bucket list, I HAVE to visit someday!

2 October 2018 / 9:22 pm

Aw, thank you so much! Everything there does look like a castle 🙂 Hard to believe that there are people who get to live there and go into those buildings every day…

11. 2 October 2018 / 3:19 pm

Looks like a Fairy Take! I live in the US and hopefully someday soon I can take a trip there. Loved your post as well!

12. Megan
    2 October 2018 / 1:28 pm

Cambridge sounds like a wonderful place to visit! I’d love to go here someday…

13. Diana Tidswell
    2 October 2018 / 10:12 am

I have never been Cambridge but it looks like a nice place to visit with your family and it feels like a princess when you are there.

14. 2 October 2018 / 2:06 am

I would love to travel to Cambridge one day – it is definitely on my bucket list! Thanks for the great pictures and helpful suggestions!

15. 1 October 2018 / 8:18 pm

Visiting Cambridge is really a dream come true. The pics are so great… There are a lot of many amazing places. I would love to go there some day.

16. 1 October 2018 / 2:44 pm

I would love to visit Cambridge someday! It looks like something straight out of a fairy tale! I’m glad that you had a good time! It sounds like there are many great places to visit and see.

17. 1 October 2018 / 11:57 am

Hi. Cambridge is defemetly a place we want go go but, we didn’t get the chance to know but, it’s for sure on our “must go” places. Maybe our son one day goes there to study, it wood be so cool!!!