Duties and Responsibilities of Au Pairs

Au pairs have certain duties and responsibilities, and they should all be written down in a contract between you and your host family. Your primary task will, of course, be to take care of the children. The family can also ask you to help with some small chores. Those chores will usually have something to do with the children. Just make sure that this is not your main job if you work as an au pair. Including childcare, you should not be working more than 25 to 30 hours per week.

Au Pair’s Duties

You’ll primarily be looking after your host children, which means that you should:

• Play with them, take them to the park, read with them, etc. In short: entertain them.
  • Take your host children to school/pick them up from school
  • Help them with their homework
  • Depending on the working hours of your host parents (and the age of the children), you might need to help the kids get dressed in the mornings or help them get ready for bed.
  • You might also need to bath your host children

Some chores that you might be asked to do:

• Clean the children’s rooms
  • Do the children’s laundry
  • Prepare meals for the kids (lunch/dinner)
  • Empty the dishwasher
  • Keep your own room clean

What Au Pairs should NOT be asked to do

• Cleaning private areas of the house, such as the host parents’ bedroom
  • Washing and ironing clothes of the entire family
  • Cook for the entire family (it should never be a duty, though you can definitely do this if you want to!)
  • Clean the toilet
  • As an au pair, you only have to take care of your own host children. You’re not responsible for looking after children of friends, neighbours, etc. If your host kid has a play date with a friend, make sure that the parents are okay with you looking after their kids.

1. mjndiaye
    18 September 2018 / 12:36 am

I’ve always wondered the specifics of an au pair’s duties. Very informative and I bet you’re a great au pair!

2. 7 September 2018 / 4:49 pm

Wow au pairs do way more than I imagined! It sounds like hard work!!

3. 7 September 2018 / 4:24 pm

This was something I wish I would have tried when I finished up schooling before starting my own family. It sounds like an amazing experience.

4. 7 September 2018 / 1:54 pm

This sounds like a great experience for a young person that is wanting to travel and experience new things. I wish i could hire you for my kid.

5. 7 September 2018 / 10:30 am

I’ve not heard of the term au pair before but it it’s interesting to read what it actually is and what the actual responsibilities are and are not

6. Rose Ann Sales
    7 September 2018 / 4:22 am

I have never know about the duties and responsibilities of this job until you write this article. Thank you!

7. 7 September 2018 / 4:18 am

This sounds like such a cool opportunity as a job in another country! It is my first time hearing of Au pairs, and it’s great that the host family and Au Pair can have such a good, well-working relationship.

8. 7 September 2018 / 12:27 am

Sounds like a cool job! I’ve had friends who loved being au pairs / nannies and felt like they became part of the family.

9. Melanie Poulos Walsh
    6 September 2018 / 11:11 pm

As a parent, it’s good to see what duties fall to the au pair. I wouldn’t have assumed any chores would be included, but knowing some light projects relating to the children is interesting.

10. Lyosha Varezhkina
    6 September 2018 / 9:02 pm

It’s a very helpful article for me. I though about getting au par in future for my future kid, it great to know more about it, sometimes you might just not know

11. 6 September 2018 / 7:47 pm

A few years ago I was really interested in doing this as a way to spend some time in Italy. I wish there was more info out about it then. This is great!

12. 6 September 2018 / 5:25 pm

This is really helpful! Several of my friends have au pairs and it sounds like it’s also tricky to find the right match. Keeping expectations clear is perfect!

13. 6 September 2018 / 4:35 pm

I wish I had an Au Pair when my son was smaller. It would have been great help.

14. Catherine Santiago Jose
    6 September 2018 / 4:18 pm

I always heard the word Au Pairs before and this time it gives me a full understanding about their duties and responsibilities so thank you for explaining these things with us.

15. 6 September 2018 / 3:40 pm

I have actually heard of Au Pairs, I didn’t have a clear understanding of all of their responsibilities – thank you for sharing those with us. As a mom ( I would love to have some help with the kids) but I don’t think I have have someone else come in and do so much for them. I just have a personal preference to be really involved with them. However I do get that other families might need an Au Pair.

16. Preet
    6 September 2018 / 2:22 pm

This is my first time hearing Au Pairs. It sounds really interesting for me and what the services tehy are offering.

17. 6 September 2018 / 1:42 pm

We loved our Au Pair and I highly recommend parents getting one to help with their children. They are amazing!

18. 6 September 2018 / 1:35 pm

This is really interesting. I don’t know anyone that has been an au pair but I have always been interested in it. Thanks for sharing this information.

19. 6 September 2018 / 7:10 am

Wow maybe one day I’ll need an au pair. Can’t even imagine being a parent right now lol

20. 5 September 2018 / 9:50 pm

This is really interesting! I’ve only read about au pairs in books before this so it’s really intriguing to learn about what it really entails in real life! Thanks for sharing!

21. Emily Fata
    5 September 2018 / 5:30 pm

This is super interesting! I’ve looked into being an au pair, and was reluctant because I was unsure about exactly what it would entail. This was very clear to understand — thank you for sharing this information!

22. mrhappywork
    5 September 2018 / 5:15 pm

Wow, very interesting. I didn’t even know what an au pair was until I read this. Quite the job!

23. 5 September 2018 / 5:03 pm

You sound like you are an amazing Au Pair! If I had children I would hire you in a second, with all your experience you would be the perfect person!