4 Tips For Less Back To School Stress

The first day back to school for the kids is the day when you’re life as an au pair starts to get a little easier. You just have to survive that first day. I did it last year and wasn’t really prepared for it – I’d only been with the family for a few weeks. This time, however, I have a much better idea of what I’m doing. So, based on my experience last year, here are some tips for less back to school stress

Usually, your host parents will have sorted out most of this stuff already. If, however, they have forgotten that their kids go to school, this is the time to remind them to get their shit together.

1. Get the kids back into a routine a week before school starts

Make them go to bed earlier so that they get up earlier. Have them get used to it so that they won’t have any trouble falling asleep once they’re back at school.

2. Sort out their school uniforms

Where are the uniforms? Are they clean? Do they still fit? If not, ask your host parents to take the kids out and buy some new ones. The same thing goes for shoes. Find them and check to see if they still fit. If the kids aren’t required to wear a school uniform, make sure you know what the school’s dress code is and that they wear things that are in accordance with that code.

3. Have the kids pack their backpacks the night before

And check if they put everything in there: homework, PE clothes, lunch (if they don’t get that at school)

4. In the morning, when they complain about having to go going back, stay positive

Even though you still remember those days where you had to go to school quite clearly (and can definitely relate to the child), you are still going to have to motivate them. Tell them things like “You’ll get to see all your friends that you haven’t seen this summer!” or “You’ll be able to do – insertย thing that they like – again once school starts.”

1. Preet
    17 September 2018 / 6:02 pm

This is something I need to remember every single day! Definitely needed this today!!! Thank you for posting and allowing us to start our day right

2. 31 August 2018 / 6:02 am

I work at the school with my kids and I take these same steps right along with them. I usually ready to get back to work so staying positive for them comes easy. To this day I still have a hard time getting up early. Bring on the coffee lol

3. Mrs. Rooks
    31 August 2018 / 4:27 am

Such great tips! I don’t have kids in school but I’m in nursing school and need all the stress advice I can get!

Hannah Rooks | therookiewife.com

4. Shar
    30 August 2018 / 3:24 am

These are all great tips for both the new school mom and the seasoned veteran! Back to school is stressful and having an established routine helps so much!

5. 30 August 2018 / 12:34 am

I need these tips for myself – and I’m the teacher, haha!

6. 29 August 2018 / 9:54 pm

great tips Maartje.. My kids are older now (a teen and a tween) and yet, these rules apply, not only to them but the #1 rule applies to us as parents too as we have gotten used to a relaxed summed routine as well.. school is back in session for almost two weeks now and we are slowly getting used to it again ๐Ÿ™‚

7. 29 August 2018 / 8:42 pm

It’s so hard to believe the summer is really over, and it’s back-to-school time! Takes me by surprise every year!

8. laurence
    29 August 2018 / 8:14 pm

agree! and order all the supplies on line ๐Ÿ˜‰

29 August 2018 / 8:16 pm

YES! Who would willingly go to the shops when thereโ€™s Amazon Prime? ๐Ÿ™‚

9. Amanda
    29 August 2018 / 7:18 pm

Great post! Back to school is a very time even if you do have a schedule! My daughter is in 4K and it’s only been a week but we are working on our schedule to make this year great!

10. 29 August 2018 / 6:20 pm

I definitely agree with getting the kids on routine as soon as possible! Also, a positive attitude conquers everything!

11. 29 August 2018 / 6:02 pm

Nice tips! The #1 point is very crucial; getting kids to readjust their sleeping pattern when back in school aint easy.

12. If I was a parent, these are all exactly the things I would o to make the transition back to school easier and smoother for everyone.

When I was a kid (I’m 29 and still remember the dread of going back, clear as day) I always packed my bag the day before, had my clothes laid out and made sure I had a shower and was “ready” for the next day. It meant I could get up, get dressed and organised in no time! It definitely made things less stressful for me and my parents.

Laura โœฐ laurahasablog.co.uk